|The Waters of Madness|
|Quest Giver||Alrette Rond|
After approaching Alrette and a string of sentences she claims that the grain had been tainted by something in the water upstream, causing her and her husband going mad. She says a man named Jenniker had recently passed through and mentioned heading to the Cranalt and must have been responsible for tainting the water.
Upon discovering the Cranalt, the Fateless One quickly finds it is infested by Murghan and Banshaen. After entering, Jenniker's body is discovered, killed by Murghan. After dispatching the mobs around and inspecting his body, he/she finds a Jenniker's Journal and discovers that a Strange Artifact left in the Cranalt by the previous inhabitants, is actually responsible for the tainting of water.Jenniker had already outlined what items were required to fix the artifact and theories on how to reverse what had happened. The Fateless One then sets out to find these objects to bring sanity back to the Rond's:
- Deactivating the device
- Select Sanguine (for optimism)
- Select Melancholic (for pessimism)
- Select Phlegmatic (for reservedness)
- Do Nothing
Choosing one of the options prompts the Fateless One to return to the farm. Depending on which option you chose will give a different outcome:
- Deactivate - Alrette will comment on how everything is back to normal, and the quest will end.
- Sanguine - Both Rond's are alive and planning to rebuild their farm.
- Melancholic - Dennret goes violently insane and Alrette is forced to put him down, she then kills herself.
- Phlegmatic - Dennret died due to the tainted grain, Alrette follows shortly after she speaks to the Fateless One.
Alrette will ask you to deactivate the artifact if you chose Sanguine/Phlegmatic at the artifact, requiring you to go back and deactivate it.
If you just want to finish the quest more quickly, choose to deactivate the strange artifact right away to save time.
Reading, but not taking the book then collecting the components may make the quest insoluble.