|Bell, Book and Candle|
|Quest Giver||Faitir Scaith|
|Reward||Gold and Experience|
Once you finish talking to Faitir Scaith after accepting the mission, he will towards the Dolve Wayle castle, located in the middle of Tala-Rane, close to Faitir's position. After accepting, you may follow him or continue to do missions at you leisure; he will wait for you inside the castle.
As soon as you enter the castle, you will notice the last Scaith on your minimap, close to the entrance, in a small camp (with an unlocked chest there). Simply walk up to him, and he will start running towards his goal (be sure to grab the Edelweiss and the Star Thistle on the way); just follow him, for now (and save your game, since the upcoming conversation will trigger automatically, because of a persuasion check that offers a bit of insight into Faitir's motives).
The aforementioned conversation will take place the moment that Faitir reaches the chain that controls the Solemn Bell, your first mission target. He will ask you to protect him from a group of Faer Gorta (5 of them in Normal difficulty) while he swings the chain (he will actually pray to the chain, if you take a look at him while fighting), and talk to you again after defeating them. A Star Thistle and a Softscrabble Deposit can be found nearby.
After a bit more walking, Faitir will stop in his tracks, and claim that he can't face "The Scrivener", bookkeeper of the Scaiths in the past, now the most powerful of the foes in Dolve Wayle. He will want you to kill him, as he allegedly can't do so on his own. You must do it, since it blocks the path to the Codex Scaith, second target of the mission (grab the Star Thistle right next to Faitir before fighting the Scrivener). Your foe, though tough, is not otherworldly powerful; just a glorified Faer Gorta. Faitir will rush in as soon as the Scrivener falls, and start a new conversation: he's found the Codex Scaith, and he needs a moment to erase his name from it. Of course, the Faer Gorta are always lurking around, and will try to attack you while Faitir sits comfortably on a chair to read his precious Codex. After defeating them, save once again, for the follow-up conversation has a persuasion check that adds more doubts on Faitir's intentions.
When you're done, follow Faitir and exit the library (and average-locked chest can be found on the alleyway). He will start looking for his Birth Candle (your last target), but it is missing; Faitir will suggest that the First, the first cursed (and undying) Scaith, took it, and facing him will be necessary. Save here once again, as the next phase of the mission involves a decision that changes the outcome of the quest.
Follow Faitir for the final time (grabbing the Edelweiss on the way). A door will open itself, and you will be introduced to the First. A new conversation ensues, where the First finally reveals Faitir's true intentions (which come as no surprise, given Faitir's suspicious behavior throughout the quest) and presents you with a choice: help him to kill Faitir outright, or talk to him to discover his plans. Either way, you need to choose a side and kill the other. Siding with the First makes Faitir hostile, and will attack you with magic; joining Faitir prompts the First to summon a group of Faer Gorta, whom you will have to kill along with its master. No matter your choice, the mission will end and you will be rewarded by the survivor (level-dependant gold and XP, and the Vault Key, that allows access to a relic from the Lyria's Lost quest) and an Aster Strongbox is found in the room where the final fight takes place.
- Save once entering Dolve Wayle. There are 2 persuasion attempts inside the keep if you are going for the achievement.
- This quest's name is a reference to the play "Bell, Book and Candle" by John van Druten.
- PC: Siding with Faitir does not turn Faer Gorta into allies
- If Faitir stuck (doing nothing and saying "focus") press H attack him once (don't kill) and than just run around the room, he should start talking. After that run down the stairs to the closed gate, it should open, and than you start to talk to other guy (name: First Scaith). From the conversation choose "kill Faitir". Quest is over.
- PC (18.104.22.168): Siding with the First does not remove Faer Gorta from the map
- PS3: Siding with the First does not remove Faer Gorta from the map
- PS3: Siding with Faitir Scaith does not turn the Faer Gorta into allies
- PS3: Siding with the First does not give you Vault Key to Dolve Wayle - this is fixed now.
- PS3: Siding with Faitir Scaith does give you the Vault Key but the chest does not open. -this is fixed now
- Xbox: Siding with the First does not remove Faer Gorta from the map
- Xbox: Siding with Faitir does not turn Faer Gorta into allies
EDIT: If it happens on every system, it obviously isn't a bug that Faer Gorta are neither removed nor turned into allies, regardless of who you side with.